I'll give the usual general update about how my past few days have been, but of course everyone will notice how much sugar I've consumed in the past few days.
On Wednesday, I had my first individual GA meeting to discuss updates on goings-on in lab as well as to go over a written assignment we had. It required me leaving the lab an hour before I usually do (5:15pm for a 5:30 meeting). The meeting didn't take more than 10 minutes, and since I ended up getting there early, I was done at 5:35pm. Things around here are generally closed by 6pm, so I was excited about all the possible things I could go see in the time I'm usually still in lab. So many things to choose from! Eventually, I decided that while nothing was running away and I'd fit in time to see everything eventually, I wanted to go inside Doe Library.
I cannot even describe what I felt when I walked into that library. It was like walking into the Boston Public Library, or the Library of Congress. I was completely in awe at how beautiful it was. I was overcome with the usual surge of jealousy that I feel when I see anything pretty on this campus, jealousy that I don't go to a school which has such amazing facilities, or architecture, or anything. Berkeley students have daily access to things like a drop dead gorgeous library, which is such a rarity in my life. I'm of course thankful that I have access to these facilities when I'm here this summer, but now that I've been exposed to it and realize what an amazing thing it is to have access to it, I'm going to be that much more sad when I have to leave it all behind at the end of the summer. Everything amazing is going to be snatched away from me and I'm going to have to go back to lame BU. All I'll be thinking about is that I only have a year left before I WILL end up somewhere just as spectacular as Berkeley for graduate school.
Here are some pictures from inside the library. I didn't take that many as it was close to closing time and there were very few people, so every little sound I made was noticed.
| Exit from the reading room |
| The reading room |
| The end of the lobby, before going up the stairs to the reading room |
| Waiting in line! |
| Finally at the beginning of the line! |
| Flavor board on the tree. Photobomb! |
| All of the ice cream so neatly displayed! |
| My cone |
When I got to lab, I checked up on my mouse brains that were in the solution to make them transparent. There was a noticeable difference in them and the outermost part of the brain was definitely clear! It's been in solution since Wednesday afternoon, and I'm definitely noticing changes. The paper that originally published this method said that "brains were left in solution for > 2 days" so we weren't sure how long it would actually take. When I checked yesterday (Friday, it's now 1:30am in California), they were getting more transparent, but there is still a lot of brain to go. I'll have to go in over the weekend to check up on them / photo - document the progress.
Speaking of Friday, there are several other updates to Friday that I'll write about before going to sleep.
Right now, I mainly have the brain transparency experiment running. All that currently requires is to sit in solution, and to remove the brains once a day to take a picture to document the clearing process. Thus, I didn't have much other stuff to do in lab yesterday. I took the time to start and complete most of my GRE homework for my next class (I have some written assignments, which were in the GRE book I happened to not bring with me to lab, and a prep workshop for the next class left to do). In terms of lab work, my PI actually gave me a THIRD project on staining for cytochrome oxidase in the barrel region of the somatosensory cortex in response to deprivation of sensory experience. The experiments have actually already been done, but he wanted me to run the population statistics on them, since that hasn't been done yet. We all know how I LOVELOVELOVE stats, so I made myself a guide sheet and started on those as well. Unfortunately most of my day was spent on GRE prep (and ten minutes photographing brains), so I didn't do much of the analysis today. However, I have the protocol worked out and written down, so I hope to at least finish 75% of it over the weekend so I have something to show on Monday.
Outside of my lab, Friday was an extremely good day. After work, I met my roommate to go out to a local sweet-treat place I'd passed downtown once called Cinnaholic, a VEGAN cinnamon roll place! If you look at their menu, you'll see what a unique place this is. I spent at least ten minutes deciding what kind of frosting to get! My goal is to keep going back and try all the frostings (much like trying all the cookie/ice cream combos at CREAM), and this is of course a reasonable goal since it's a five minute walk from my lab. I ended up getting a cinnamon roll with Irish Cream frosting and almonds and cookie dough on top:
| Deliciousness in a little box. |
Being at the end of the work day, my roommate and I were starving and were happy to go out for cinnamon rolls. But, go figure, we never learned from childhood dinner customs to not eat dessert first, and when we tried to go to dinner right after Cinnaholic, it wasn't fun. I certainly wasn't hungry anymore, and had to hunt around for the lightest thing being served (which ended up being a light pasta salad). The dinner conversation somehow got to sweets and ice cream places. One of the guys actually just got here a few days ago because his school just finished, so he hasn't been out to all the local places like King Pin or CREAM that all the other scholars have established that we go to all the time! Why I did this is beyond me, especially after filling up on the cinnamon roll and barely eating dinner, I offered to take him out for ice cream so that he'd experience all the places we've been constantly going to. Somehow, I also managed to steer the conversation to convince him to go to Ici's instead of CREAM. My roommate was also there, and I've been asking her for the longest time if we can go to Ici's (and she wasn't the one I went with on Wednesday), so I convinced her to come with us! After she had also had the cinnamon roll and barely eaten dinner. I am such a bad influence! So I ended up there for the second time in two days. I told myself I was going to resist getting ice cream and try a brittle, but obviously that one didn't happen.
| The menu! Everything looks so good! |
| Han (my roommate) and I happily waiting to get our ice cream! |
| My cone - brown sugar gingersnap! |
The last Friday update is that a lot of the people in my lab were going out to see a movie, to which they invited me. I accepted because right now, even though I "know" them kind of, I still just sit at my desk in the corner and am really quiet, so it'd be a nice thing to go on an outing with them. We went to see Prometheus, and I knew nothing about it and haven't seen any of the other movies in the Aliens or Predators series. I went in with no expectations and no idea what the movie was about at all, besides that aliens and action were somehow involved, and I enjoyed it. I wish I knew a bit more about the backstory though. I tried to look it up on Wikipedia when I got home, but got so confused with all the different movies that there are. I shall soon try (whenever I have time!) to actually figure out what order I'm supposed to watch them in, and try to do that so I understand what the rest of the story is from Prometheus.
Several other girls were actually going to the movies too (but to see a different one), and our movies started and ended at the same time, so it was good that I had a group of people to go and come back with. On the way back, we were of course all hungry, so guess where we ended up? That's right, King Pin! (Which is open til 3am to cater to all the drunk college students). And who would we happen to meet there but the five people who had gone to the LMFAO concert in Oakland and were also on their way back to the dorms? I actually managed to resist this time and not get anything (that's a new one), but had a small bite of one of the other girl's fresh hot apple fritter.
This weekend with the Amgen group, I will be going to Muir Woods! I believe I've been there once before (or if it wasn't there, it was some forest filled with abnormally giant trees only found in California). That's in the morning (today, Saturday) and I'm really excited for this trip! The rest of the weekend I'll be spending relaxing visiting family as well as scrambling to finish my GRE homework and data analysis for lab. I've finished updating on all the happenings of my week since Wednesday, and sleep is now calling so that I can be refreshed for Muir Woods in the morning!!!
Muir Woods is gorgeous. Hope you enjoyed your trip!
ReplyDeleteSonia