I've always heard rumors that LA traffic is always awful, but I never truly believed it could actually be that bad. Well, it is. It took AGES to get from the airport to UCLA, because we were moving at slowpoke speed along the highway!!!!
While I may only think this because I've only eaten here once, the dining complex I ate at for lunch today had the most amazing food. Take their dessert section, for example, pictured here. !!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT ALL OF THE CHOICES. I only had one thing (sweet potato pie), which was delicious. I would have tried everything, but I was too stuffed from eating 8 plates of food. Yes, there was that much selection and that many good things that I had 8 plates of food.
After lunch, we had a bit of free time before conference activities started, so a few of us wandered around campus and just did a basic loop around the track and athletic fields. UCLA is absolutely beautiful. There are lots of nice grassy patches, the sky is blue, the buildings are brick and gorgeous and castle-like, and it's just a general warm and sunny atmosphere.
| This is the general photo from the conference hall which represents having speakers for the rest of the afternoon. |
In the evening, we had an Amgen Game Show which consisted of Jeopardy, Family Feud, and various other random shenanigans which may or may not have been science themed. We got super spirited by school (most of which didn't actually show up), and we of course put in our best effort and had a ton of fun. It was great pooling the knowledge we had, being strategic, competing, and just being energetic about everything. In one of the non question answering activities we had to do, we stood in a line holding hands, and had to pass a hula hoop over ourselves without letting go until it got to the end. Clearly, I was extremely excited about this activity.
| Yup, got my game face on. |
Above is us standing in line, prepping for the activity. We rocked this because we realized we could loop around and help the hula hoop go down while still being able to keep hand holding. Our group rocks. Unfortunately, a certain other school across the Bay won by a landslide, but we won't talk about them. After the game show and the fun, we hung out in one of the center's lounges for a little while before finally calling it a day. The fun resumes in the morning!!!!!
Back in Berkeley-land, I'm starting to finalize my results, my poster is mostly formatted and just needs results photos, conclusions, and acknowledgments added. Unfortunately the answer to my main hypothesis turned out negative, but such is science.
They so used the same title slide and had the same activity my year. Some things never change.
ReplyDeleteSonia